google.com, pub-4358400797418858, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 TUTTOPROF. Inglese: 10 Idiomi inglesi sul Corpo Umano

10 Idiomi inglesi sul Corpo Umano

Operation game: idioms about the human body
[Infographic provided by Vappingo proofreading services]


1. Idiom: Hands are tied
You say that your hands are tied if you are prevented from doing something because you don’t have the power or authority to do it:

- I would like to help you to get planning permission to build a windmill, but my hands are tied.

2. Idiom: Gut feeling.
Your gut feeling concerns the impression that your subconscious has about a person or situation. You don’t know why you feel the way you do, but you feel confident that your opinion is correct.

- I have a terrible gut feeling about that Goblin. He just doesn’t seem like boyfriend material.

3. Idiom: Head start
You have a head start if you start a task or event ahead of all others. If you have a head start, you are considered to have an advantage.

- I have already prepared my pastry, so I will have a head start in tomorrow’s cookery class.

4. Idiom: Pain in the neck
You say someone is a pain in the neck if they irritate you or make life difficult for you. A situation can also be a pain in the neck if it makes your life difficult.

- The fact I have to pick John up from the airport this evening is a real pain in the neck.

5. Idiom: A sight for sore eyes
Something or someone is a sight for sore eyes if it makes you happy to see them.

- I have missed you so much; you really are a sight for sore eyes.

6. Idiom: A weight off your shoulders
You can say a weight is off your shoulders if you no longer have to worry about something or deal with something difficult.

- Thank goodness that exam is over; it really is a weight off my shoulders

7. Idiom: Achilles’ heel
An Achilles’ heel is a weakness or flaw that could result in failure.

- The Snafflepus’ love of chocolate was his Achilles’ heel; he had no real chance of ever winning the world diet championships.

8. Idiom: Find your feet
To find your feet means to adjust to a new place or situation.

- I really like my new job but it is going to take me a while to find my feet.

9. Idiom: Weak at the knees
If you go weak at the knees, you feel an emotion so strongly that it makes you feel unstable on your feet.

- I went weak at the knees when Steven walked into the room.

10: Idiom: joined at the hip.
Two people are joined at the hip if they are almost inseparable. The phrase is usually used to describe courting couples or close friends.

- Suzie and James are joined at hip. I don’t know what they will do when he has to go away to university.

Aura_468x60.png